2010년 3월 26일 금요일

Almost 3 whole months.

I've been here since January 2nd I believe, which means that at the end of March, it will have been 3 months. That's crazy on multiple levels. One, it's gone fast! Time flies here. Two, I still have 11 months to go, as opposed to 9 like originally planned. Three, I've been living in South Korea for three months. Bizarre.

Things are going pretty well. I've been going to school, Korean class, and trying to balance sightseeing/exploring/drinking with relaxing/sleeping/being grumpy. Let me explain. Working with children all day requires a constant good mood and patience. So sometimes, I really enjoy being alone and not smiling. It sounds depressing. But trust me, it's necessary.

I'm much more adjusted to the new schedule of the new school now. I like it a lot. It's a great environment and the people are very nice. The kids are insane, mostly in a good way and when they learn something, I feel responsible.


I'm getting better at dealing with bloody noses and green snot bubbles. I say "go see Lisa Teacher!" Or I say "go get a tissue". Hahaha. Pathetic. I know.

Jason and I went to a seafood buffet place that is on our road. It is a giant place. All you can eat for 2 hours for less than 30 bucks. 32,000 won to be specific. This place is excellent. I ate my body weight in crab legs, sushi, prime rib, fresh fruit, soup, waffles and ice cream. I cannot even begin to explain how huge and overwhelming this place is. It was great.

The weather has been unpredictable. We have had some yellow days due to that Chinese dust. We have had snow. We have had sun. We have had rain. We have had ice. We have had crazy wind. It's been crazy and hard to guess what's coming. The real kicker is that somedays we'll walk to school in beautiful blue skies with the sun shining and at lunch time we'll look outside and see the biggest snowflakes ever falling fast. Then we walk home in 10 cm of snow. The next morning we walk to school on ice and come home to hot sun. It's nuts.

I think I understand ages enough to really explain it to you. In real life, I am 22 years old. In Korea, I am 24. Here's why. The day you are born, you are 1. Everyone gets a year older on January 1st. So if you're born on December 31st, you are 2 years old on your second day of life. Since 1987 is 24 years from 2010, that's how old I am. It's confusing if I think about it too much. But what it means is that when we are told we are teaching 5 6 and 7 year olds, they are really anywhere from 3-7. Which is crazy young. To be learning 2 languages.

It has also come to my attention that while I am able to have a pretty good understanding of what to expect from my kids, and which ones I like and which ones are so cute, there is still so much of their personality that I am missing, due to the language barrier. Some of my favorite cuties just chatter at me in Korean all morning. They are usually smiling, but I have absolutely no idea what they are saying, which is probably how they feel about me too.

After 3 months I can safely say that this is a good idea for me. As of right this second, I think I'm only going to do one year. But that will probably change about 57 more times over the next 11 months. Let me talk this through. February sucked. It was stressful and I was ready to come home. Now that things are going well, I know I can do my year. This is a good deal and a good country. I miss home. I also think that there are cooler/different countries that would be cool to live in. However, it's not like I have a plan for real life or any idea of what I want to do with life, so I guess there's not really any reason to rush home. It will always be there. And I guess I am only 22 or 24. I don't know.

Shoot me an email with news. I want gossip and other big news. I know about the health care thing and I know that Purdue, Cornell, and Butler did well in basketball thus far.

I miss you and I love you!

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기