2010년 3월 5일 금요일

Second first week-DONEZO

It's true. My first week at the new job is officially over. A lot has happened. So this post is going to be bullet points. I apologize for the stream of consciousness that you are about to paddle down. Hahahaha couldn't help it.
  • McDonalds delivers. Most places do. Dudes on mopeds zip around like crazies.
  • I finally have internet!!
  • I do not have a T.V
  • I'm going to the hospital tomorrow to get a drug test/AIDs test/ TB test. If I pass them all, I will receive an Alien Registration Card (ARC) which will allow me to do more things...and be here legally. Which is lucky because my visa expires at the end of March without it.
  • I have a cell phone! Well I had it for about 3 days and it locked itself and noone knows the code. So I don't actually have it right this second, but I should again soon.
  • My new apartment is in the basement.
  • I like it much more now that I have internet.
  • There are no normal size toilets at my new school. They are all made for 6 year olds.
  • I like my new school. It is very different, but it's good.
  • The kids are way less advanced than the kids at the first school. The school is divided into 3 floors, 5 year olds, 6 year olds, and 7 year olds. My homeroom is on the 4th floor, in Robot, with 7 years. But I move around and see all the kids. It's crazy how much less English they know than the Brighton kids. HOWEVER, these kids are SO MUCH HAPPIER at school. They love it. They are happy to be there, they love to learn, they love to see us. It's pretty cool.
  • There is only a twin size bed in my new apartment and since I'm neither 8 nor in college anymore, I decided that that was not cool. So we moved Jason's big bed to his new apartment and I swiped his little bed. Now my apartment is mostly bed, but I'll work out the logistics of it eventually.
  • The new place is about a 30 minute walk from downtown Suji, where I used to live. The new place is largely commercial. There are outlets here that remind me of Molly and Jess and other people who love shopping. Crocs, Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Converse, Yessica, North Face, and Columbia are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. So people travel to Suji to go out. Which is ok with me. I like Suji and have friends there and stuff. But drinking is much less appealing when a long walk is required. There is a bus, but it stops at 11:30.
  • I have continued to take Korean classes and am thrilled with that decision now that my kids don't know English. I'm able to have a better idea of what they want. It's kind of cool.
  • I think that because I took 6 years of Spanish, when I'm planning what to say to someone in a store or something, my brain says "Oh hey. Not English. Try Spanish. Oh Shit. Korean." It's weird. But I find myself reviewing Spanish alot.
  • Because Wednesday was the first day of the new school year, we did not have text books this week. Which made teaching hard. But it made it easier to play with the kids and make them like me without having to worry too much about getting in trouble or too far behind in the workbooks.
  • Puppy class kids are 5 years old. That means 3-4 years old. We're lucky if we can get them to speak/understand Korean. Let alone English. This is also the first time they've tried to use their English names.
  • Both the 5 year floor and the 6 year floor have a very hard time remembering their English names, let alone responding to them. Its challenging. Luckily I can read Korean well enough to guess their names, get a response, and then try their English names.
  • My Korean co-teachers also don't know English that well. It's cool though. Everyone is really nice and I think this is going to work out.
  • I hope it works out. If it doesn't, I'm out.
  • I bought a bicycle. For 80,000 won. That's less than 80 dollars. You might be thinking, "Hey Katie. You hate bikes. Why did you do that." Answer? "Why not" A friend was on her way home and needed it off her hands. What the hell.
  • I know you're dying to see pictures. I'm dying to show them to you. Problem? No camera. Solution? Buy one. It's on my to do list. I promise.
  • I love you. I miss you.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기