2013년 8월 25일 일요일

Reunion in Korea and an introduction to Japan

Hey! I had a wonderful time in Korea with Ian. We went to a water park and we made the journey up to our old stomping grounds to see Bill, Anton, and Yoanna. It was great to see everyone. We meant to go scuba diving, but due to scheduling conflicts and THUNDERSTORMS, that didn't happen. Why the emphasis on thunder? Because Korea never gets thunder and lightning. Unless I'm there and want to go scuba diving apparently. Anyway it was a good week. Saturday, I flew to Japan. It was a 2 hour flight. I got off the airplane, made it through immigration, got my bag, made it through customs, exchanged money, bought a bus ticket, and got on the bus about 1 minute before it left. This gave me zero minutes to find a pay phone to call Michiko, my new boss and tell her that I was on the way. Fingers crossed that she would come get me. I was told the bus would take about an hour and half and to get off at the second stop. It took about 2 and a half hours. I did get off at the second stop and no one was there looking like they were looking for me. So I thought to myself, "SHIT". I stood there for a bit debating what to do. Then I thought I saw some pay phones at the corner so I started to walk there. I heard my name and found my boss! YAY! She brought me to the apartment, showed me how to work things and then took me to eat. We talked a bit about the schedule. I think that will be fine. I have 3-6 classes a day at various locations. When I'm not teaching/traveling to and from teaching, I have free time. So there are a lot of hours during the day to myself. I'll have to get a hobby. OR MAYBE I'll start planning for and preparing for some sort of future for myself. Maybe. Today, I slept in and I was going to use the day to explore a bit, but it's raining and I don't feel like getting lost in the rain. So I've been reading, unpacking, moving things around and that kind of thing. I did venture up to the store to get shampoo.

Here were the thoughts I had on my walk:
  • Crap. They drive on the left side of the road. I'm going to die.
  • Crap. I don't know how to say anything in Japanese other than "sit down".
  • Crap. Which one is shampoo and which one is conditioner.
  • Crap. I have to figure money out again!
  • Crap. I"M GOING TO GET HIT BY ALL OF THE CARS.
  • Crap. Today is the last day of vacation.
  • Hooray! I'm in my 14th country.
  • Hooray! I think I can do this job!
  • Hooray! Only 10 more months.
  • Hooray! I have plenty of space for visitors.
Some other things I learned. It's easy to get to Tokyo from here. There is a train station right by my house. There are a few classes a week in my apartment. There is about 1 USD ($) to 100 yen. A bowl of ramen last night cost 700 yen. The bus ticket cost 2750 yen. What? I don't know. It's hard. I hate starting all over. I have to figure out what to do with trash, how to get around, how to shop. I have to make new friends and pick up a new language. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy and I'm proud of myself and I'm excited for this year. But, it sucks. I'm just going to go ahead and assume, based on my prior experiences that the first three months are just going to suck. But, if I can do that, I'll be all right and chances are I'll be super sad to leave.

Korea pictures and my new house.

Anton, Ian, Yoanna, Bill, and myself at Batman Bar!

BigGuyBill and a dino.

Anton and T-Rex.

Yoanna and a dino chomp.

Anton, Bill, Me and Ian. I have no idea what made me laugh so hard.

When you walk in the door, this is what you see. Kitchen on the right.

Through that door.

The second classroom.

Bathroom. Shower through the glass door. Toilet through the right door. Washer and DRYER on the left.

My house.

Pillow cases I made.

Train tracks through the kitchen window.

THAT"S THE WRONG SIDE!
 

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기